If you’re a fan of Little House books like I am, then you probably know that Ma Ingalls had each day of the week organized to focus on a particular task. Years ago when I would read the old Large Family Logistics blog, the author, Kim also had her days of the week scheduled in such a way. I had also ordered my days in a similar way but had gotten away from it. So I decided to give it a try again.
Since I am in need of a day in the kitchen to help do some cooking ahead, I figured that Tuesdays would be a good day for me to do this. I was hoping that I could make Saturdays my kitchen days so David would be home to help with the kids. However, I tend to run errands and do outside work on those days. It was really hard to fit in a day of cooking too. Tuesdays tend to be stay at home days for the most part so I knew they would be good days to spend in the kitchen.
Today was the first (second time around) kitchen day around here. I did some prep early this morning before school such as setting out ingredients and making sure that meat was defrosting. Most of the actual kitchen work didn’t happen until after school while Baby Boy was napping.
Here’s what was accomplished in the kitchen today:
- roast for tonight’s dinner (put this on to cook first so I wouldn’t get too busy and forget!)
- a second roast cooked and sliced for Thursday’s dinner
- 6 pints of chicken broth
- 2 quart bags of shredded chicken (1 for this week’s lunches and 1 in freezer for a future meal)
- 2 loaves of applesauce bread for breakfasts
- prepped dinner and spices for tomorrow’s slow cooker meal
- black beans soaking to cook in the morning
- refrigerator cleaned out (did this second so I’d have room for the food)
- swept/mopped kitchen
I even enjoyed a little outside coffee break in the middle of it all when Baby Boy woke from his nap and wanted to enjoy the lovely weather outside!
It doesn’t look like that much now that I’ve typed it but it has at least made meal preparation a little easier for me this week!
I just enjoyed a slice of that fresh, still warm applesauce bread while typing this little post. Now this momma is off to enjoy a relaxing soak in the tub! Goodnight y’all!