Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A new wreath ~ a how to, of sorts…


I have needed a new wreath for quite some time.  So the other day, I went shopping at one of my favorite stores, Hobby Lobby, for some items to make a new wreath.  While I was there, I stopped to see how much a premade wreath would cost.  The small one that I happened to look at was $70!  Wow! 

I’m not sure of my total cost because I got rid of the receipt but I did buy everything but the grapevine wreath at either 40% or 50% off.  The wreath cost $4.99.  So if I estimated, my wreath cost about $15 - $20. 

I thought that I would share how I made it in case you were looking for a cheaper alternative to those expensive wreaths too.

DSCN1975 I started with:  a grapevine wreath, 3 bundles of 2 types of flowers, a roll of toile ribbon, and some small bumble bees.  You can use more flowers.  Personally, I wanted more forsythia flowers but this was the only bundle I could find in the store.  I guess everyone else wanted some too. 


Other things I used:  floral wire, wire cutters, scissors, and a hot glue gun.

DSCN1977 I began by placing the flowers on the wreath to get an idea for where I would place them. 

Using the wire cutters, I cut some of the very long parts off of the flowers.  I left enough of the stem to weave into the wreath.


I started with the forsythia and wove the flowers into the wreath.  Using the floral wire, I tied down some of the stems especially if they were sticking out a bit further than I wanted.  I also bent other stems into place.

DSCN1982 Twisting the wire around the back of the wreath to secure the flowers into place.

DSCN1990 I cut the other flowers into small bundles and tucked them in around the forsythia.  I secured them into place with a dab of hot glue.

DSCN1992 Just a dab of hot glue in a hidden spot should hold it into place.

DSCN2001 I started making the bow and it just wasn’t looking right.  Since it had been a long time since I had made a bow, I googled it.

How to make a bow (clickable link)

DSCN2002 I untied it and started again…and again…bow making is not really my forte. 


I attached the bow using some hot glue and the wires used for making the bow plus another wire.  I took the leftover ribbon and secured it to the back of the wreath with hot glue and wrapped it around the wreath.  I then glued the end of the ribbon to the back of the wreath on the other side.

Now for the fun part!

Since bumble bees will be at our house soon when the violets starting blooming, I wanted them on my spring wreath.  That, plus they are incredible cute…if they don’t sting you, that is!

DSCN2008 I glued the bees to the ribbon here and there.  I even hid one in the flowers!


Fluff the bow and the flowers until it looks like you want it!

Then find the perfect spot to hang it!

That’s how I made my new spring wreath!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking time to leave me a message. I'll be sure to get back in touch with you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...